This is a recipe I wouldn’t want to see anyone go out and buy the ingredients for. Dig through the fridge, if you don’t have an ingredient just substitute for something similar.
This worked out to be $1.76 per serve (not skimpy serves either, my partner is a big eater!). It was cheap, filling and yummy.
I used pork because we had roast pork the night before so there was a small piece of it in the fridge and needed to be eaten but chicken would have been my first choice if it was there, but like I said, use what you have! Mushrooms also go well if you have them on hand. My measurements are not exact because, as I mentioned, I am just using up what I have:
- Half a Packet of Dried Pasta (25c)
- About 300g Cooked Pork or Chicken ($2.30)
- Large 400ml Cream ($1.29)
- Half a Jar of Sundried Tomatos ($1.75)
- Small Handfull of Spinach (50c)
- One Onion (25c)
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (20c)
- Small Leftover Piece of Cheese (50c)
- Put pasta on to cook as per packet instructions.
- I used a Thermomix but if you don’t have use your chopper of choice or even an old fashioned knife!
- Blitz the onion and garlic for 5 seconds on speed 5.
- Add a drizzle of oil, I used the oil from the sundried tomatoes as it usually gets wasted anyway.
- Cook 100c for 2 minutes.
- Scrape down bowl.
- Add sundried tomatoes and mushrooms if you have them and chop on speed 3 for 10 seconds.
- Add salt, pepper and cream and cook for 10 minutes, 100c speed 1.
- While its cooking, add a spoonful of cornflour if you like a thicker sauce. Add your chicken or pork. Add a handful of cheese and some finely chopped spinach.
- Pour sauce over cooked and drained pasta.